Monday, May 19, 2014

Mutant Enemy Strike Day 2007

Mutant Enemy Strike Day December 7, 2007

Boy am I tired. 4 hours of walking around in a circle is tiring. Not to mention the fact that I have been having foot problems for almost a year now. I keep waiting for it to get better but it doesn't. So for those who saw me limping away, I walked for an hour after I should have so that was really really not smart.

My favorite moment was when Joss invited us to join him a few weeks ago.  I thought that was so shiny. I went by myself and arrived just before 10am. I ran into Dammitgirlie in the parking lot. There were about 4 buses with folks from Seattle, Arizona and I am not sure who else. I know lots of folks from the Browncoat Cruise were there. We walked over and signed up and grabbed a sign. There were stickers with Fans Support the Writers and a spot to write what kind of fans you are.  Some said Whedon, others Real, others Smart, some Roswell, some Australian, mine said JOSS. We crossed the street to join the picket line and started walking. The first celeb I saw was Morena Baccarin she was walking with Brett Matthews (writer) then Joss. I know David Fury (writer), Doug Petrie (writer) and Tim Minear were there as well as the mayor from Buffy, Richard Wilkins. Other BDHs were Michael Fairman (Niska) Ron Glass, Yan and Rafael Feldman. From Buffy and Angel we had Amy Acker, J. August Richards, Nicholas Brendon, Tom Lenk and Eliza Dushku, then came our Captain Nathan Fillion and Summer Glau. Last but certainly not least was an appearance by Alan Tudyk.

I have never been a part of a strike before. I knew we would be walking around in circles. There was an 80% chance of rain so I was bundled up. However with all the walking and the patches of sun coming through it got warm fast so I went back the car to take off my coat and scarf. I ran into the Saxon clan at that point as well as 11th Hour and Ron Glass as he was arriving. I grabbed a donut and some water and went back to walking. It was neat seeing the same fans that go to everything there as well like James and Fireflylynn, Lexigeek and OneTrueB!x, Rayhill and many SF Browncoats. It does seem we are a core group that goes everywhere. Wyobar and her husband were there and one of the Bedlam Bards were there singing and marching. They made a filk for the strike to the Hero of Canton, very shiny. So I would walk around and see the same folks over and over. I didn't approach the cast because that is not why I was there. However when I saw Eliza I just had to thank her for all she is doing and tell her I was looking forward to her new show. Eliza Dushku is incredibly beautiful and I am sure just as pretty and smart on the inside as she is beautiful on the outside. Summer Glau was also very pretty. She was walking by herself until others started walking with her. Nicholas Brendon had shades and a hat on but I could still tell it was him. When the Captain started walking I made some sort of sound I was so excited to see him and he just looks so very good.

Saxon spotted Alan when he arrived and she called me over. Now by this time I was very very very tired. My brain was missing and it was sheer will to keep moving. I just did not want to wimp out. 4 hours does not seem that long a time to walk but having to keep a certain pace makes it a little harder I think. So I saw Alan just as he was starting to join the line. I positioned myself to say hi and he saw me and was walking around these girls and then walked behind them to shake my hand in greeting and peck on the cheek. I said "It's nice to see you." and he said "Nice to see you too." It was brief and he was on his way so that was it. I enjoyed the moment and jumped back in. I almost wanted to let Nathan know but since he was busy and did not want to interrupt I just walked by. I did make sure I thanked Joss when I got the chance. I did interrupt a guy with a camera but I just wanted to shake Joss' hand and say a quick thank you. It was a nice firm handshake. I love Joss a lot and had no more words to say, especially since my brain was missing a while back.

Once the strike ended Joss spoke a few words of thanks and what this all means to have us all come out. Then he invited us to the M.E. Picnic at the park. So off I went to limp over there. It was cold and I really couldn't walk anymore but I just had to stay and enjoy the moment. Joss was the only BDH there. I didn't go talk to him but I loved seeing him smile all day. He was gracious and spent 2 hours talking to fans until he finally stood up on a table and said good bye to everyone. Once I came home and landed on my bed I knocked out. Well I did have to take my sister to work so it was after 7pm before I came home. I went to lie down as I waited for the bathroom but that was a mistake. I fell asleep and could not move. My right foot and leg hurts like the dickens. My dad gave me a little foot massage this morning and it feels a little better but overall I feel like not moving at all. It was a mighty fine Strike Day. I hope it helps. Keep donating to feeding the writers. Striking is hard work.

 

No comments: